2020-07-25

28 Summers


28 summers ago I fell in love with Jesus
Not all at once
But a growing awareness
Starting with a desperate deal
Heal my life Jesus!
And I will live that life for you!
Little did I know what that would entail
But Jesus was faithful when I was faithless
And so unfolding over several months
This new love became real
Until one late night
On a Christmas break
At a Taco Bell
I knew I belonged to Jesus
Deep down in my gut
And it wasn’t just bean and cheese tacos talking. 
...
28 summers of growth have followed since
As I’ve followed Augustine’s advice
To learn to know more fully 
The LORD I’ve come to love in Jesus
Learning Scriptures
To hear his Voice in the text
Learning Languages
To read his Name in the syllables
Learning Theology
To think with his Mind in my ideas
Learning Spirituality 
To feel his Heart in my prayers
Learning Liturgy
To feed on his Life in the sacraments
Learning Ethics
To see his Face in each Other
Learning History and Culture and Literature,
Religion and Science and Philosophy
To find Breadcrumbs of Jesus’ Love 
Spread across time and space
All so I can more fully love the LORD I know
The Savior who commands me above all else
Love the LORD with all my heart and mind and strength
So I may love others as he loves me
...
28 summers of growth has led me to realize
The best tools the LORD gives us
Become the worst idols to hide his Love
When we invert his Great Commandments
When we use Jesus merely as a means
To manipulate for our own ends
When we use his children merely as props
To abuse for our own desires
Jesus becomes our mascot
People become our toys
Means to political power
Means to social respectability
Means to moral purity 
Means to self justification
Means to exuberant experience
Means to mystical insight
Means to family values
Means to social justice
Means to cultural superiority
Means to petulant resentment 
Means to “progress”
Means to “tradition”
Means to personal prosperity
Means to national pride 
Means to ideas and ideals and ideology
Means to hate and exclusion and fear
Means to anything and everything
Except Love
Except Love
...
28 summers later and LORD Jesus I pray 
Help me not forget my first Love
May I never become lukewarm
May I never put your gifts above your presence
May I never mistake the means you give me
For the end and goal and purpose in you
And above all
And in all
And through all
LORD of Love
Draw us to you
To be loved
And loved through you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a bunch of incoherent babble to make us think hard about our incredible love affair with the God of the universe, our astounding infidelities against God, and God's incredible grace to heal and restore us through Christ. Everything on this site is copyright © 1996-2023 by Nathan L. Bostian so if you use it, please cite me. You can contact me at natebostian [at] gmail [dot] com