2022-04-01

Mark Nine Twenty Four

A Proem...

As a theological friend
Made a theological observation
About the presence of 
Theos in Logos
With, in, and under
The Bread and the Wine
A pious impiety entered
With, in, and under
Our discourse
That was too dark for public consumption. 

I have had more theological conversations 
Than most humans have
So I am neither uninformed 
Nor uninterested
In what is at stake
For the stakes are so high
Sometimes people are burned on them. 

But something in me is broken 
Regarding theology
And the Divine promises it makes
Because the spiritual and ethical commitments
Of the pious and impious
Regularly bear no resemblance 
To the beliefs they claim to (not) have
And those rare souls who do seek to 
“Practice what they preach” 
Are so statistically few 
As to be anomalies 
And not indicators. 

Thus I have become deeply ambivalent 
About many Divine things
And this is deeply concerning to me. 

Yet when someone waxes with sincerity
About the meaning of this or that
My first thought now is to reply 
Sarcastically
Sardonically
Smugly
“Who cares?”

But if I try to dig deeper
Past the reactionary nihilism
Past the fashionable ironic distance
To get back to a semblance of sincerity
I still ask the same thing: 
Does anyone actually care? 
Does it matter in any meaningful way 
That contributes to the health and flourishing 
Of anyone?

I used to think so
But now I despair. 

Even if one sincerely affirms 
The real Presence of Christ 
In a meaningful way
What does that mean in a culture 
That has forsaken God 
And is forsaken by God? 
The real Presence simply serves 
To highlight the real Absence 
In every other meaningful way 
In this meaningless world 
We trudge through. 

Instead of the Church 
Contemplating Divine Truth
Pursuing growth strategies
Or crying out in the wilderness
Perhaps the best Witness to
Divine Absence
Is simply to close up shop
Admit that God has left the building
(and is not coming back)
Have a Divine garage sale
And sell it all to investors 
Who will develop it 
Into gastropubs 
And shopping centers 
And luxury loft apartments.

I hope this whole poem
Is hysterical histrionic hyperbole 
But I fear
It might
Be true. 

I believe 
But Oh Lord
Help my unbelief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a bunch of incoherent babble to make us think hard about our incredible love affair with the God of the universe, our astounding infidelities against God, and God's incredible grace to heal and restore us through Christ. Everything on this site is copyright © 1996-2023 by Nathan L. Bostian so if you use it, please cite me. You can contact me at natebostian [at] gmail [dot] com