2022-07-04

Training to become our Strongest Self

Lord of Life strengthen us in Spirit, body, and soul: With our mind, heart, and will in your loving control; So we can heal our world, and make your children whole.

"Who are you training to become?" This is a phrase I have written on the squat rack in my home gym, and at the top of my training log. Because what we practice is what we become, and how we train shapes who we will be. So, who are you training to become? This entire instructional manual, which unpacks my core training principles, is an attempt to help us all train in such a way that we become who and what we want to be: That we train to become our strongest self, our wisest self, our best self.

So, since this blog is a summary of my entire training program, we need to start by defining "training". Depending on where you look, you can find many definitions for training. Training can refer to "developing a particular skill or type of behavior through practice and instruction". In a purely physical sense training often refers to "preparing oneself through diet and exercise in order to be fit". Or in its most general sense, training can be "to grow in a particular direction or into a required shape". All of these overlapping definitions share my idea of training: Training is "activity with intensity directed toward a purpose". 


Training is not play, because play is activity and intensity without any sense of purpose. Play can be good, and play is necessary for fully engaging in relationships and developing creativity. But play can also be a waste of time: As in when people "play around" in the gym without accomplishing anything. Training is also not merely wishful thinking, because wishing is a sense of purpose without any activity or intensity to accomplish it. And finally, training is not just going through the motions. It is not just doing activity for activity's sake. It has intensity, vibrancy, effort, and drive. 


So my manual is about principles and plans which help us achieve "activity with intensity directed toward a purpose". And that purpose is to become "our strongest self, our wisest self, our best self".


The following manual on how to train (and why) was written for my children, who are starting to get interested in health and fitness and weight lifting. I did not mean to write a book. I intended to jot down a few notes for them. Those notes became this manual. I guess I had a lot to say! It is written from the perspective of a guy in his late 40's who is juggling a challenging schedule and the emotional demands of being a husband, father of three, pastor, teacher, administrator, and friend. It is part of a journey I have written about in 2011, 2014, and 2020. I wanted to put a summary of all of this in one place, so here it is. This isn't an expert analysis of fitness, just what has worked to keep me fairly healthy, strong, and mobile for the last decade. 


I was a football player, powerlifter, and recreational weightlifter through my mid-20's. Then with grad school, starting a family, and more than full time work, I didn't really exercise or pursue fitness until my late 30's. The result was obesity (which I still struggle to keep at bay), pre-diabetes, and generally feeling bad in my own skin. Then I started my fitness journey again, lost about 50 pounds, and researched and experimented with fitness until I found something that works for my lifestyle (and I built a great home gym in the process). 


Now, I know many other middle aged guys who are stronger or in better shape. And I also know this often occurs with the help of "better living through chemistry". It really boosts energy and recovery when you artificially increase testosterone back to teenage levels! Depending on one's goals, I don't think it is morally wrong or even cheating to use these performance enhancing drugs (PED's). However, due to health concerns and lifestyle issues and finances, I have not found this to be the right solution for me. 


So, this manual is what has worked for me in the pursuit of middle aged health and strength. It is based on what I have found in researching fitness in books I have read, books others have read, and content I have collected on fitness Youtube, as well as what actually seemed sustainable and beneficial in my own practice. I won't go down all the routes that did NOT work for me for various reasons, and there are lots of valid paths to strength and fitness I will not touch on. On this road I have been on, I have found a number of helpful resources that are probably better than anything I will write below. I encourage you to read, watch, listen, and try what they have to say as well:

  • The Strong Lifts 5x5 comprehensive (and simple!) training program.
  • The treasure trove of ideas and information that is "A Workout Routine".
  • The other treasure trove of information at EXRX, including an incredible exercise directory, as well as calculators for diet and strength.
  • Around 2021 I found Dr. Mike Isratel and Renaissance Periodization, which seems to be the most effective and research based training advice for bodybuilding on the internet (although his training is for muscle growth, but not necessarily strength, and definitely not for Olympic lifting or Strongman training). And in 2023 he launched a training app that effectively makes this whole training manual obsolete (but you should read on and/or watch his videos to know why his app is so good).
  • Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength program (with one proviso: he presents his way as the only way, which is not exactly my way). A uniquely helpful resource for older lifters in the Starting Strength workbook "The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40".
  • The incredible science offered by Greg Nuckols and his crew at "Stronger by Science".
  • The mobility guru Kelly Starrett of "The Ready State", and his wonderful book "The Supple Leopard", which I will reference often.
  • Mobility, rehabilitation, and bodyweight training ideas from Hampton Liu of Hybrid Calisthenics, Tom Merrick the Bodyweight Warrior, and Bob and Brad (the two most famous physical therapists on the internet).
  • The videos and advice of Scooby Werkstatt, who is the "OG" of effective weight training advice for real people with real lives who train at home.
  • Weight training ideas from fitness influencers such as strongman Alan Thrall of Untamed Strength, weight lifter Omar Isuf, the Buff Dudes, the manic musings of pro bodybuilder Greg Doucette, natural bodybuilder Jeff Nippard, Jeff Cavalier of AthleanX, science and medical perspectives from Barbell Medicine, John Meadows (the nicest bodybuilder to ever live), and animated fitness advice from Picture Fit.
  • Evidence-based strength trainer Alexander Bromley offers a great video overview of the history of strength training and bodybuilding. If you want to dive deeper into the history of training, read the back issues of Iron Game History from the Stark Center for Physical Culture and Sports at the University of Texas.
  • One word of warning: These sources are often trying to sell products. And I do not blame them. But I think you can construct a workable training and diet routine without purchasing anything but dumbbells and quality food. These sources also regularly contradict each other, so you have to make your best judgment. The rest of this document is my best judgment for me and my health. Perhaps it could help you too.


MY TEN CORE PRINCIPLES:


The result of all of this is my entire training program. It is not necessarily aimed at bodybuilding or powerlifting or crossfit or strongman training, and it is definitely not oriented around olympic lifting or bodyweight calisthenics (which have never worked well for me). But it is a sustainable health and training program for a busy and challenging schedule, aimed at functional strength, for an enjoyable life, and a body that is comfortable to live and move and work and play in. It is based on the TEN CORE PRINCIPLES for strength and fitness that I try to follow. I will outline them below, and then comment on them:


PRINCIPLE 1. TRAINING IS SPIRITUAL: Christ trains us to strive for our strongest self in body, spirit, and soul. In Scripture, the integration of spiritual and physical training is advocated in texts such as 1Thessalonians 5.23-24; 1Corinthians 6.19-20; 9.24-27; Philippians 3.12-14; Hebrews 12.1-2; 1Timothy 4.7-8; Proverbs 31.17; and Sirach 30.15.


PRINCIPLE 2. TRAIN TO LIVE, DON'T LIVE TO TRAIN: Use the Minimum Effective Dose [M.E.D.] for bodily strength and mastery, to pursue vocation and recreation.


PRINCIPLE 3. MINDFUL LIVING GROUNDS STRENGTH: Sleep 7-8 hours daily to regulate metabolism, hormones, mood, and thinking. Supplement with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and probiotics, with water to hydrate and flush. To gain muscle, consume about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean Body Weight. To lose weight, eat less than you expend over Resting Metabolic Rate plus daily activity. 


PRINCIPLE 4. MOBILITY SHAPES FORM SHAPES FUNCTION: Do controlled reps with great form to recruit maximum tissue and avoid injury, and to have great form practice your fullest range of mobility.


PRINCIPLE 5. TRAIN EVERY MOVEMENT: Take all joints and muscles through a full range of motion under load (such as the Core6 movement patterns of Lo Push, Lo Pull, Brace, Hi Push, Hi Pull, and Raise).

  • HI PUSH: Any movement where you are pushing your hands away from your torso using mainly chest (pecs) and triceps muscles. Main muscles: Pecs; Anterior Deltoids. Assisting muscles: Triceps; Medial Deltoids. [Click for a list of Hi Push exercises]

  • HI PULL: Any movement where you are pulling your hands toward your torso using mainly back (lats, rhomboids, traps) and biceps muscles. Main muscles: Lats, Mid-Back, Rhomboids, Mid-Traps, Scap. Assisting muscles: Biceps, Forearms.  [Click for a list of Hi Pull exercises]

  • RAISE: Any movement where you are grabbing something and raising it toward, or over your shoulders, using mainly shoulder (deltoid) muscles. Main muscles: Anterior, Medial, and Rear Deltoids. Assisting muscles: Forearms and Traps.  [Click for a list of Raise exercises]

  • LO PUSH: Any movement where you push with your feet against a load to extend your feet away from your trunk. Main muscles: Quads, Inner Thighs, Hips, and Glutes. Assisting muscles: Calves and shins.  [Click for a list of Lo Push exercises]

  • LO PULL: Any movement where you are pulling your feet up to your buttocks, or pulling your back up to an extended position. Main muscles: Hamstrings at hips, Spinal Erectors, Low to Mid Back, and Glutes. Assisting muscles: Hamstrings at knees.  [Click for a list of Lo Pull exercises]

  • BRACE: Any movement where you are using your abdominal and core muscles to stabilize the torso in relation to the hips, or crunch the torso closer to the hips, or twist the torso side-to-side in relation to the hips. This is often called "core" training, or abdominal training (although it uses more than the abdominals). Main muscles: Abdominals and Spinal Erectors. Assisting muscles: Hip flexors pulling knees to head.  [Click for a list of Brace exercises]


PRINCIPLE 6. TRAIN LARGE TO SMALL: Use progressive overload to train largest muscle groups first, with compound exercises and free weights for synergistic nerve and muscle response, then move to smaller muscle groups for isolation exercises.


PRINCIPLE 7. TRAIN ANY PLACE: Build a sustainable training program which achieves the most intensity in the least time while using basic equipment with minimal spotting.


PRINCIPLE 8. STIMULATE DON’T ANNIHILATE: Decrease intensity if workouts cause injury or soreness more than 2 days, or exceed 75 min, or 6 failure sets per muscle group. Thus train fewer sets [S] with High Intensity, including: [W] Use Warmup sets which do not rep to failure; [F] Rep to muscular Failure; [RP] Rest Pause: Rep to failure, pause, rep to failure again; [DS] Drop Set: Rep to failure, drop weight, rep to failure again.


PRINCIPLE 9. TRACK EFFECTIVENESS: Set goals, log diet and training, and record progress in lifetime lifting and healthy body weight by measuring your Bodyweight Quotient (BWQ).


PRINCIPLE 10. PROGRAM VARIETY WITH STABILITY: Maximize interest and recovery while avoiding overtraining by alternating: TRAINING MODES: [BW] Bodyweight [BB] Barbell [DB] Dumbbell [KB] Kettlebell [MX] Machine [B] Bilateral [U] Unilateral. REP RANGE: Use Low Reps for strength gains at 3-7 reps to failure per set. Use High Reps for size gains (hypertrophy) at 8-15 reps to failure per set. ACTIVITIES: Weights, Rest, Mobility, and Cardio. 


As I explain these training principles, please remember: This is NOT professional advice, and I am NOT certified in any form of physical training or medicine. This is merely the amateur advice of a middle aged husband and father who is sharing what has worked for him on his fitness journey, and why. So, if you want to know more about the principles and how to apply them to your training program, keep reading about my Core Training Principles. If, however, you just want the summary of how to apply these principles, see the summary below.


TRAINING CHECKLISTS.


Based on my Core Training Principles, here is a checklist to follow when creating your own training program:


A. General Mindfulness and Health:

  • Is my physical training program part of an integrated spiritual and ethical program for personal growth and development of the whole person? [see 1.1-3]

  • Do I have clear and realistic goals for all major aspects of my life, including my physical fitness? Do I have these goals posted so I can see them, pray them, and enact them? [see 2.2]

  • Have I developed ways of measuring and tracking my progress in accomplishing my goals? Am I actually doing this? [see 9.1-9.3]

  • Am I getting 7-8 hours of sleep regularly? How can I make my sleep routine better? [see 3.1]

  • Am I getting enough nutrition, including vitamins, minerals, fiber, and probiotics, with water to hydrate and flush? [see 3.2]

  • Am I consuming around 1 gram of protein per pound of lean muscle mass each day? How can I get the protein I need without unwanted calories? [see 3.3]

  • Am I getting the calories I need per day to maintain, lose, or gain the weight I want? General rule of thumb: STAY: Wt (lbs) x 10-11. LOSE: Wt x 8-9. GAIN: Wt x 12-13. [see 3.4]

  • How am I feeling? Am I over trained? Am I under trained? Do I need more or less rest? [see 8.1-2, 10.4]


B. Physical Training other than Strength Training:

  • Do I have a regular practice of mobility and flexibility to support proper form and function in daily activities and weight training? [see 4.2]

  • Am I making time for active rest and recovery (in addition to quality sleep) to maximize my training? [see 10.4]

  • Do I have a regular practice of Cardio exercise that I enjoy, doing something that causes me to sweat and breathe vigorously for at least 30 minutes a day, even if it is just walking or hiking? [see 10.4]


C. Strength Training Resources:

  • How much time do I have to train? Am I planning to train as efficiently and sustainably as possible given my time constraints? [see 7.1]

  • What equipment do I have access to train with, and how do I need to adapt my training to these resources? [see 7.2]

  • Can I create versions of my training plan which can use different kinds of equipment (i.e. if I only have access to barbells, or only dumbbells, or only machines, or only bodyweight)? [see 7.2, 10.2]

  • To effectively implement my program, do I want a training partner? Do I need a coach or trainer for any aspect of my training? Do I need a spotter? How does this impact scheduling? [see 7.3]


D. Strength Training Program Design:

  • Have I split up the training of my body so that I have adequate stimulus and recovery time? [see 5.2, 8.1]

  • Am I using a training split that supports my goals as a weight lifter (including gains in strength, size, endurance, and skill)? [see 5.2]

  • Am I working out "every 2-3 days with at least 3-4 days between working the same muscles again"? [see 8.2]

  • Is my program designed to "Train largest muscle groups first, with compound exercises and free weights for synergistic nerve and muscle response, then move to smaller muscle groups for isolation exercise"? [see 6.2]

  • Do my workouts include appropriate and enjoyable exercises from all of the Core6 movement patterns of Lo Push, Lo Pull, Brace, Hi Push, Hi Pull, and Raise? [see 5.1, 6.3]

  • Have I incorporated any integrated and specialized forms of strength training I might enjoy, such as Strongman training or Olympic lifting? [see end of 6.3]

  • Am I planning to use appropriate techniques to maximize intensity, and minimize time in the gym, and avoid "junk volume"? [see 3.1, 8.3]

  • Am I varying Training Modes, including [BW] Bodyweight [BB] Barbell [DB] Dumbbell [KB] Kettlebell [MX] Machine [B] Bilateral [U] Unilateral exercises? [see 10.2]

  • Am I varying rep ranges to include: Low Reps for strength gains at 3-7 reps to failure per set; High Reps for size gains (hypertrophy) at 8-15 reps to failure per set? [see 10.3]


A SAMPLE UPPER/LOWER SPLIT TRAINING ROUTINE.


It can be helpful to see what a training program can look like to take all of these Core Training Principles, and the checklist above, and put them into a workable program. So, as an example, here is my current training program as of July 2022. Note that I keep my training plans (like the one below) in a Google Doc. When I workout, I cut and paste the workout template for the day into my training log, and then I fill in the sets and reps into the template. At the top of my training log, I have my current overall goals, which include these process goals:


DAILY TRAINING (PROCESS) GOALS:

  1. CALORIES TO: STAY: Wt (lbs) x 10-11 (for me: 2700-3000). LOSE: Wt x 8-9 (for me: 2100-2400). GAIN: Wt x 12-13 (for me: never!). 

  2. PROTEIN: Each day try to intake ~1g/lb of lean body weight. (for me: ~200g/day). 

  3. EAT ONE REAL MEAL: ONLY snacks of liquid and/or lean meat with fruit or veggies until main meal. YES to protein shakes, skim coffee drinks, canned or grilled meat, sandwich meat, salad, soup, etc. NO to bread, carbs, fats, cheeses, butter, etc. Main meal is ONE PLATE of food with ONE treat of dessert or alcohol. (Note: Your metabolism may be higher, or your goal may be to GAIN weight. In which case, you might want to set a goal to eat 3 or 4 real meals. It all depends on your goals.)

  4. DRINK WATER: For every non-water drink, drink an equal volume of water. Drink a large glass of water before eating anything. 

  5. ACTIVITY: CARDIO: 30-60 min 3-4x per week to lose weight. WEIGHTS: 3-4x per week. MOBILITY: Before bed with tooth brushing and prayer. SLEEP: 7-8 hours per night. (Again: This will depend on your goals and time constraints)


TRAINING LOG ABBREVIATIONS:

All exercises listed here can be found in the Core6 Exercise directory (see section 6.3). For more descriptions of each exercise, simply click the link for the exercise there. In addition to exercise names, as I am inputting workouts into my training log, I use the following shorthand to write them more quickly. This shorthand includes:

  • [W] Warmup. 

  • [F or !] Rep to Failure. 

  • [S] Set. 

  • [DS] Drop Set. 

  • [RP] Rest Pause. 

  • [SS] Superset. 

  • [!] Primary lift. 

  • [*] Secondary lift. 

  • [+] Assist lift. 

  • [BW] Bodyweight 

  • [SELF] Self-Resist 

  • [DB] Dumbbell. 

  • [BB] Barbell. 

  • [MX] Machine. 

  • [KB] Kettlebell. 


NOTES ON TRAINING LOG CONSTRUCTION:

Each workout log template BEGINS with a CORE6 WARMUP. I warmup the entire body to get blood flowing through all of the muscles, and also to check if I am fully mobile and not injured. Sometimes I do not feel glitches and tweaks in my body until I get moving in the warmup. For this, I choose one bodyweight exercise per Core6 Movement, and I rep it out until I feel lightly fatigued (but not until failure).


Each workout log template ENDS with a place to record my Bodyweight (BW), the DATE, START time, END time, minutes I worked for (MIN), and the number of sets I did (SETS). Often, I will keep track of how many sets per minute I do in my entire workout as a rough indicator of how much training volume I am doing. I count warmup sets as sets along with work sets (since both take up time and energy), then I divide minutes by the number of sets. I find that very challenging workouts are usually between 2.0 and 2.5 minutes per set, while lagging or low energy workouts are often 3.0 minutes per set and above. My workouts are generally 25-30 total sets per workout, lasting 60-75 minutes.


On LOWER DAYS, you will note that I superset Calf and Shin Raises together, and then superset those between ALL primary LO PUSH+ and LO PULL+ movements. I do this because, for me, I need a lot more volume on my calves to get them to grow, and they can easily fill the recovery time between the difficult compound exercises for the lower body. You will also note that on lower days I typically do "DB Swing-to-RDL", in which I do dumbbell swings (or kettlebell swings) until I can no longer do them with good form, and then I go immediately into doing RDL with the same weight until failure. It really burns out the hamstrings, glutes, and spinal erectors using fairly light weight. It is a great "finishing exercise" for Lo Pull.


On UPPER DAYS, you will note that I superset primary HI PUSH+ movements with primary HI PULL+ movements, and then superset primary RAISE+ movements with secondary HI PULL* movements. Then I superset all assistance^ exercises together, going from triceps to biceps to forearm exercises.


I provide SEVERAL OPTIONS for primary+, secondary*, and assist^ exercises each day. Only ONE exercise is to be chosen from EACH category on any given day. I do this because I often have to workout in different locations depending on where I am (work gym, home gym, hotel gym, or commercial gym). So I want exercise flexibility pre-planned into my workout templates. You will especially notice that each workout is planned such that it can be done entirely with barbells or dumbbells or machines. 


A final note is that due to the variability of how much time I have, I have made my workout templates so they can be easily shortened or segmented. Since each movement has three exercises associated with it (primary+, secondary*, and assist^), it is easy to SHORTEN a workout to just do the primary and secondary exercises, or in a pinch, just the primary exercises. 


It is also possible to SEGMENT workouts into two parts. A segmented workout is where you do primary and secondary exercises on one day, and then do assist exercises the next day. For instance, for upper body you might do primary and secondary lifts for Hi Push, Hi Pull, and Raise on one day, and then do your arm work the next day (perhaps combined with cardio). Or for lower body, you might do primary and secondary exercises for Lo Push and Lo Pull on one day, and save calves, shins, and brace exercises for the next day (perhaps combined with cardio). In this pattern, you have one "major" workout, followed by a "minor" workout the next day.

  • Upper Major Workout: Primary and Secondary exercises for Hi Push, Hi Pull, and Raise.

  • Upper Minor Workout: Assist exercises for triceps, biceps, and forearms (+Cardio?)

  • Lower Major Workout: Primary and Secondary exercises for Lo Push and Lo Pull.

  • Lower Minor Workout: Calf, Shin, and Brace exercises (+Cardio?)


TWO VERSIONS OF THE TWO-DAY SPLIT:

For descriptions and video examples of exercises listed, look at the Core6 Exercise Directory in my full Training Program.


DAY 1: LOWER SQUAT/RDL. 


DAY 2: UPPER PRESS/ROW. 


DAY 3: LOWER LUNGE/RDL.


DAY 4: UPPER OHP/CHIN-UP. 


As an optional extra day, I sometimes for Upper Body I will save arm work for a separate day, and for Lower Body I will save core work for a separate day. And then combine them for this:


OPTIONAL DAY: VARIABLE CIRCUIT.


FREQUENCY OF THE TWO DAY SPLIT:

Now that we have the workout program template put together, the question is how often do we work out? We discussed exercise frequency in 8.2 and 10.4. That is where the Upper/Lower split has a lot of flexibility for a busy life. Depending on your needs, your time and resources, and your recovery ability, you could adapt it in a number of ways.


1. For the person who only has time on the weekend to workout:


MON: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

TUE: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

WED: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

THU: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

FRI or SAT: LOWER BODY

SAT or SUN: UPPER BODY


I know this violates my "no more than 2 days out of the gym" rule. But sometimes our lives are so busy, we have to workout when we can. And that can be a victory in itself!


2. For the person who can devote 3 days per week to training:


FIRST WEEK:

MON: LOWER BODY

TUE: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

WED: UPPER BODY

THU: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

FRI: LOWER BODY

SAT: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

SUN: Rest or Cardio/Mobility


SECOND WEEK:

MON: UPPER BODY

TUE: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

WED: LOWER BODY

THU: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

FRI: UPPER BODY

SAT: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

SUN: Rest or Cardio/Mobility


Note also that these days can shift around depending on scheduling. Maybe you workout on Mon, Thu, Sat. Or maybe Tue, Thu, Sun. I just try to not take more than 2 days off of weight training in a row. 


3. For the person who can devote 4 days per week to training:


MON: LOWER BODY

TUE: UPPER BODY

WED: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

THU: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

FRI: LOWER BODY

SAT: UPPER BODY

SUN: Rest or Cardio/Mobility


Note that, again, these workouts can really happen on any day, so long as you put a rest/cardio day between each sequence of Lower/Upper, and try not to have more than two days in a row off from weight lifting.


4. For the person who can devote 5 days per week to training (note this is often for students who work out during the school week):


FIRST WEEK:

MON: LOWER BODY

TUE: UPPER BODY

WED: LOWER BODY

THU: UPPER BODY

FRI: LOWER BODY

SAT: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

SUN: Rest or Cardio/Mobility


SECOND WEEK:

MON: UPPER BODY

TUE: LOWER BODY

WED: UPPER BODY

THU: LOWER BODY

FRI: UPPER BODY

SAT: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

SUN: Rest or Cardio/Mobility


5. For the person who needs to segment this split into shorter workouts:


FIRST WEEK:

MON: LOWER BODY MAJOR (primary and secondary)

TUE: LOWER BODY MINOR (assist plus cardio)

WED: UPPER BODY MAJOR (primary and secondary)

THU: UPPER BODY MINOR (assist plus cardio)

FRI: LOWER BODY MAJOR (primary and secondary)

SAT: LOWER BODY MINOR (assist plus cardio)

SUN: Rest or Cardio/Mobility


SECOND WEEK:

MON: UPPER BODY MAJOR (primary and secondary)

TUE: UPPER BODY MINOR (assist plus cardio)

WED: LOWER BODY MAJOR (primary and secondary)

THU: LOWER BODY MINOR (assist plus cardio)

FRI: UPPER BODY MAJOR (primary and secondary)

SAT: UPPER BODY MINOR (assist plus cardio)

SUN: Rest or Cardio/Mobility


A LESS INTENSE WEEK:

MON: UPPER BODY MAJOR (primary and secondary)

TUE: UPPER BODY MINOR (assist plus cardio)

WED: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

THU: Rest or Cardio/Mobility

FRI: LOWER BODY MAJOR (primary and secondary)

SAT: LOWER BODY MINOR (assist plus cardio)

SUN: Rest or Cardio/Mobility


As you can see, there are a hundred ways to configure the Lower/Upper Split workout to your needs. And this is also true for many of the workout splits in section 5. The only limitation is your creativity and your time and resources. So, the only thing left to do is for you to create something that works for you: Imagine what you want to be. Plan how to get there. Experiment in the gym. Evaluate how it works. If it doesn't quite work for you, then imagine and plan and experiment some more. When you find a new idea or exercise you like, program it into the appropriate movement, and see how it works. Don't be afraid to find out what works for you, or even to deviate from what this manual says. Becoming your best self, in all areas of life, is all about the process: Imagine. Plan. Experiment. Evaluate. Repeat.


If you are interested in investigating any of the ideas found here at greater depth, you can study my entire training program, and explanations of all the principles in it.


And now, may the Lord of Life guide you to create a training program which helps you do "activity with intensity directed toward a purpose", so that you may become "your strongest self, your wisest self, your best self". And then, may God give you the strength and time and discipline to accomplish it. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a bunch of incoherent babble to make us think hard about our incredible love affair with the God of the universe, our astounding infidelities against God, and God's incredible grace to heal and restore us through Christ. Everything on this site is copyright © 1996-2023 by Nathan L. Bostian so if you use it, please cite me. You can contact me at natebostian [at] gmail [dot] com