2020-05-11

Adventures in Book Binding 2020



For those who have known me for a while, you know I like binding books. In particular, you know I like re-binding Bibles in new and creative ways. Before my Bible and Prayer Book primarily took up residence on my smartphone and tablet, I even tried printing, compiling, and binding my own English-Hebrew-Greek study Bible. But, for most of my adulthood, that has taken the form of duct-tape binding. I have created duct-tape Bibles with flaps and velcro and extra storage space for pens and pencils. After having several duct tape Bibles for over a decade, I have found that over time they tend to degrade, get sticky on the outside, and have the velcro peel off. So, I started looking for a better solution...

For the last year or so I have experimented with actual leather book binding with increasingly good results. For a while now, I have wanted a new "Backpack Bible" of small size to throw into my backpack when I go to work or out to adventure. But I wanted it to match these specifications:

First, I have a wonderful hand-sized 4.5" x 6.0" NRSV Bible with Apocrypha in a glorious san-serif Optima font. But it has an awful cheap binding.

Second, I have several small 1979 Books of Common Prayer that are the same basic dimensions as the NRSV Bible, including one with cheap paperback binding.

Since I use both the Bible and the Prayer Book on a regular basis, I wanted them bound together. Yes, I am aware you can find this product on the market (I own one). But the Bible font is tiny, and I do not like the formatting. And there are other things I wanted in the Backpack Bible as well...

Third, I wanted the Backpack Bible to have a protective flap that would enclose and hold together the Bible/Prayer Book, so it would not get beat up or bent pages while inside the backpack.

Fourth, I wanted it to have a leather flap BETWEEN the Bible and Prayer Book that would include a holder for my favorite kind of mechanical pencil. I "read, mark, and inwardly digest" both Scripture and the Prayer Book, so I like to write notes in the margins.

Fifth, I wanted it to be bound together by a paracord or elastic tether which could be easily tied and untied (or bound and unbound). 

So, using leather scraps purchased for less than $10 at a craft store, wood glue, gorilla glue, fabric scraps, white cardstock, black paracord, and black shoe polish, I created this:



Fits in the palm of the hand.



Easy to open paracord tether: Just unwrap it. I may experiment with using elastic too.



Pencil holding flap easily integrates between Bible and Prayer Book.



Easy for note taking in the Bible.



Easy to access Book of Common Prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a bunch of incoherent babble to make us think hard about our incredible love affair with the God of the universe, our astounding infidelities against God, and God's incredible grace to heal and restore us through Christ. Everything on this site is copyright © 1996-2023 by Nathan L. Bostian so if you use it, please cite me. You can contact me at natebostian [at] gmail [dot] com