2015-01-02

New Year's Resolutions 2015


The ball has dropped. The calendar has flipped. The holiday break is almost over.

And thus, I suppose it is time to do this year's obligatory resolutions (which, in fact, are continuations of things I am already working on).

However, on the supposition that if I make my decisions public, I have a greater chance of actually accomplishing them, here are my resolutions for 2015. I have limited myself to 5 goals, because I tend to accomplish things in sets of 3 or 5. God created us to evolve with five digits, so that is a pretty handy way of keeping track. And so without further ado, my New Years resolutions for 2015:


[1] Engage in structured prayer and Bible reading 6 days a week. 

I have a plan and a method I have developed over the last decade that works very well (when I work it). I just need to do it. I find that I generally accomplish this 2-4x per week depending on how busy I am. I need to make a point of making 20 minutes in the morning to actually DO it.

[2] Continue a litany of thankfulness and prayer at dinner each night with my family.

Inspired by my Associate Chaplain, Michael Koehler, in a sermon he did this last semester, my family and I have started naming one thing we are thankful for before each dinner, and then we turn that into the dinner prayer for the family. It's a great practice that leads to wonderful conversations, and helps us maintain an "attitude of gratitude" each day, because we have to pay attention to what we are thankful for.

[3] Continue lifting weights 2-3x per week, and ADD cardio 2-3x per week 

I've been doing very well on lifting weights lately. I've put together quite a wonderful program that hits the entire body in 2-3 workouts: Day 1 - Thighs, calves, low back; Day 2 - Chest, shoulders, triceps; Day 3 - Back, biceps, forearms (or combine Days 2-3 together ann shorten them if I am having a busy week). What I have NOT been doing enough of is intentional cardio. Yes, my job has me walking about a 1/2 to 1 mile per day, but that is not enough. I need to get intentional and get the blood pumping vigorously for 30 minutes 2-3 times per week.

[4] Loose 24 lbs and get to 275 lbs. That's a loss of 2 lbs per month. 

To do this, I need to drop to about 2500 calories a day (very doable), and be intentional about cardio (see above). Assuming I do these two things, I should be able to pull this off (and even have a cheat meal once per week)!

[5] Blog something 2x per month to keep me in the habit of writing. 

Having a wonderful wife, three kids and a job that is challenging, fulfilling and time-consuming is an awesome way to live in almost every way, except literarily. Over the last few years, my reading has dropped from reading several books per month and writing daily, to reading maybe one book per month, and writing usually just for class or sermon prep. I also find that when I do read or write, I am scattered. I can read blogs and articles online for 2 hours, and not remember a single thing I have read. It is the "junk food" equivalent of reading and thinking: At least it is something, but eventually it will make you sick and lethargic. So, I need to get back in the game and get intentional about reading and writing. So, hopefully, look for something new every two weeks or so on this blog!

With all of that said: May you be richly blessed in this New Year and may God use you to richly bless others. I will end with a prayer from the Book of Common Prayer (page 161) for a renewal of our vocation and labor during this new year:

Almighty God our heavenly Father, you declare your glory and show forth your handiwork in the heavens and in the earth: Deliver us in our various occupations from the service of self alone, that we may do the work you give us to do in truth and beauty and for the common good; for the sake of him who came among us as one who serves, your Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a bunch of incoherent babble to make us think hard about our incredible love affair with the God of the universe, our astounding infidelities against God, and God's incredible grace to heal and restore us through Christ. Everything on this site is copyright © 1996-2023 by Nathan L. Bostian so if you use it, please cite me. You can contact me at natebostian [at] gmail [dot] com