2018-01-29

How to make a paracord Prayer Rope


The above video is a brief description of how to make a (nearly) indestructible Prayer Rope out of nylon paracord. A Prayer Rope is a version of Prayer Beads or a Rosary, and is used for repetitive, meditative prayers. Since I made mine, lots of people have asked me how to make it in person, over email, and by text. So, I decided to share how to make it with everyone. If it helps you on your spiritual journey, feel free to use it.


Here's a couple of other pro-tips that are not in the video:

Spacing is tricky. I try to make it so that it goes around my wrist 3 times and is fairly easy to get on and off. I had to make 5 other prototypes before I got to this one.

When you make it, try to snug up each bead as you make it to take out all slack. Otherwise it will stretch a lot once it is done.

Unfortunately, due to variabilities in wrist size and the tension of the knots, I cannot tell you exactly how long to make it. My only tip would be: Start with waaaay more cord than you need.

I have one other trick to keep it from stretching. Once it is totally complete and the length you want it, soak it in water. Then microwave it for 30-60 seconds. This will lock the fibers. But be careful: Too short in the microwave and it doesn’t get hot enough to lock it. Too long and it melts.

Lastly: I cannot say exactly how to make the finishing bead with the cross on it. I experimented until I got it right. It is the same basic technique as all the other beads.

And last but not least: Be patient and expect to do a few prototypes before you finally get it right. It’s like a Jedi making his/her own light saber. Enjoy the process and approach it prayerfully. Because, if you are making a Prayer Rope, prayer is the point!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a bunch of incoherent babble to make us think hard about our incredible love affair with the God of the universe, our astounding infidelities against God, and God's incredible grace to heal and restore us through Christ. Everything on this site is copyright © 1996-2023 by Nathan L. Bostian so if you use it, please cite me. You can contact me at natebostian [at] gmail [dot] com