2018-05-15

Praying Psalm 87 for Jerusalem


With the ongoing unrest in Jerusalem between Israelis and Palestinians, I have struggled to find a prayer to pray for them. Both sides are wrong. Both sides are right. Both sides have performed atrocities. Both sides deserve a safe and prosperous place to live. But how to pray through this on any given day is extremely difficult.

So, over the last few years I have found myself praying Psalm 87. It is a beautiful vision of Jerusalem (i.e. Zion in this Psalm), in which the City is the epicenter of God's blessing upon all peoples. Zion is elected by God as the chosen City, that it may draw all peoples into those blessings and bring them a genuine relationship with the Living God. God's election is never an election to privilege, but an election to use one's privilege to share God's blessings with all.


As a result, in this Psalm all who genuinely know God are born in Zion and have their birthright with the people of Zion. Although the election is focused on the Jewish people, it widens to include those from Lebanon and Palestine, the Middle East, and Africa. The nations mentioned here are clearly metaphors for the blessings of Zion reaching every tribe and tongue across the globe.

So that is my prayer for Jerusalem: That it would live into it's calling and election to be a blessing to all peoples. That its name "Yerushalim", which means "I see Peace", would literally come true. That we would see Peace in Jerusalem-- God's Peace-- and that would inspire all peoples to Peacemaking. I know that seems like an unthinkable dream right now. But stranger things have happened.

With this week's unrest and killings in the Holy Land, as I "pray for the peace of Jerusalem" [Psalm 122.6] I have turned back to the Hebrew text of Psalm 87. As a result, I have made a rough, very literal translation. And then based on that, I turned it into a rhyming poem. If either helps you on your journey with God, feel free to use them.

Literal Translation of Psalm 87

1. His foundation [is] in holy mountains. 
2. The LORD [YHWH] loves the gates of Zion above all the dwellings of Jacob. 
Glorious things are spoken in you, City of God. Pause-to-reflect [Selah] 
4. I will cause Rahab ["proud one", probably refers to Egypt] and Babylon to be remembered with those who know me. Behold! Philistia and Tyre [modern Lebanon], along with Cush [that is, Ethiopia]: [Each of] these was born here 
5. And for Zion it will be said: Person upon person was born in her. And the Most High will establish her.
6. The LORD [YHWH] records [each] in the record of the
peoples: This one was born here! Pause-to- reflect [Selah]
7. And [they will be] singing [to YHWH], as they are dancing: "All my springs-of-life are in you!”

The NIV Translation of Psalm 87 [slightly modified]

God has founded his city on the holy mountain. 
The LORD loves the gates of Zion 
More than all the other dwellings of Jacob. 
Glorious things are said of you, city of God: 
“I will record Rahab [Egypt] and Babylon 
Among those who acknowledge me— 
Philistia [Palestine] and Tyre, along with Cush— 
All will say, ‘This one was born in Zion.’”
Indeed, of Zion it will be said, 
“This one and that one were born in her, 
And the Most High himself will establish her.” 
The LORD will write in the register of the peoples: 
“This one was born in Zion.” 
As they make music all will sing, 
“All my fountains are in you.” 

Poetic Paraphrase of Psalm 87

On this Holy Mountain sits the City God founded
The LORD loves the gates of Zion with grace abounding
More than all of Israel and every one of her dwellings
Your walls echo with the stories of God's glory retelling
God says "I've written down the names of Egypt and Iraq 
Among those who know me, and are bound by my pact;
Along with Palestine and Lebanon and Africa's heights:
They were all born in Zion and are my delight."
Indeed of Zion herself, all will gather and say:
"Each and every one was born in her and raised!"
Zion will be established by God the Most High,
As the LORD registers all peoples in his Book of Life.
"Born in Zion! Born in Zion!" God will record for each soul!
All will dance and sing "You quench my thirst and make me whole!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a bunch of incoherent babble to make us think hard about our incredible love affair with the God of the universe, our astounding infidelities against God, and God's incredible grace to heal and restore us through Christ. Everything on this site is copyright © 1996-2023 by Nathan L. Bostian so if you use it, please cite me. You can contact me at natebostian [at] gmail [dot] com