2019-05-03

Put on the Full Armor of God (but not too tightly)

A Poem...

If it does not kill me,

It only makes me stronger. 
So say sages as diverse as
Saint Paul
Or Nietzsche
Or Conan
Or Kelly
Or Kanye

If I just cover myself in the ideological armor 

of Intellect and analysis
If I can wrap myself in the chain mail
Of ironic distance and cynical wit
If I harden my body and strengthen my spirit
Under the iron and on my knees
Can I withstand the War on my soul?

The assaults of time and chance;

The vicissitudes of opportunity and opinion;
The sneers of those who hate me, and the loss of those who love me;
The slings and arrows of outrageous stupidity and stupendous selfishness;
The persistence of ignorance and prejudice despite the best efforts of wisdom and compassion;
The staggering injustice that many starve so a few can be obese;
The Totalitarian Hedonism that demands I smile and consume and forget all this, or else;
The fact that everything I have ever cared for will crumble to dust, or be transformed beyond recognition;
The very real possibility that this entire Cosmic Struggle is just a comedy of errors at best, or a flatulation in the quantum foam at worst. 

Or perhaps this is what happens

When you wear your armor too tightly 
And forget that life is not only a Battle
It is a Song we sing with
It is a Beat we dance to
It is a Wave we surf on

And when you stare too long

Into the yawning Abyss of meaninglessness 
The Abyss yawns back
Shrugs a little
And goes back to ignoring you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a bunch of incoherent babble to make us think hard about our incredible love affair with the God of the universe, our astounding infidelities against God, and God's incredible grace to heal and restore us through Christ. Everything on this site is copyright © 1996-2023 by Nathan L. Bostian so if you use it, please cite me. You can contact me at natebostian [at] gmail [dot] com